Monday, September 18, 2006

Clay County Fair

This weekend was so great! It was show weekend at the Clay County Fair for the Johnson Hereford Farm and we had a blast! Both Caisha and Zach showed a heifer calf and were 2,3 in the line-up(respectively)! Caisha was so pleased because she had picked out that calf herself. She is looking forward to next year already and is planning on showing that calf as a yearling. This calf will be considerably bigger, not to mention stronger, by next year so we will have to see how things turn out. She also wants to show another calf, so she will be showing 2 animals next year. Grandpa and Grandma even mentioned that maybe she can show this heifer at the Iowa State Fair next year. Maybe I can get her in to show at the Boone County Fair, also. That's if they even have a class for Hereford's in Boone! I think I need to get the kids signed up for 4-H now that we are planning to stay put for awhile. I think Caisha and Zach would enjoy the different projects they can do. I was in 4-H for 11 years and loved it! It was hard work at times, but well worth it. If Grandpa is willing to haul a few animals down this direction for the kids to show that would be great!
Zach did real well showing on Saturday. He started out leading his calf all by himself, without any adult walking near him. I was so proud of him!! His calf did start to get a little pushy later so Grandma hopped in to help him. It's been a great experience for both the kids. Caisha is really showing a propesity for picking the winners. Grandpa says she will have to help pick out the calves for next years show! She picked such a winner this year that Grandpa almost ended up selling her to a buyer! Caisha told Grandpa emphamatically "NO, You can't!!" I think he is going to hang onto this heifer.
My mom was able to make it down for the fair, also. It was nice to have her be a part of the showing process. She pitched right in and was washing and brushing animals on show day. I know Jack and Lynne both really appreciated her help! We also found out that my mom, who is really a Dairy person, knows how to pick the Herefords, too! It was fun to spend time with her. I hope that next year she can convince my dad to come down with her. The Clay County Fair is known for its agriculture and farm machinery, which is something that my dad loves and the MN State Fair no longer really offers. I know we would loose him all day as he wandered through all the machinery! Zach would love to hang out with Grandpa Diers on that day!
On Sunday the kids and I walked around and looked through all the other projects and buildings at the Fair. Both kids got new belts with their names engraved on the back.....just like Grandma Lynne (and their dad had when he was little)!They both wore them to school today. I think it is the first time I have seen Caisha tuck in her shirts!
It did rain both Saturday and Sunday night. Saturday they had to sandbag in front of the barn because the water was creating a river down the center of the barn! I was driving in that downpour and could barely see a thing! It was a good thing I knew the road as well as I did!
I hope to never miss a Clay County Fair as long as I am able to get there! It's always a great time and the kids really learn a lot from their Grandparents that weekend about showmanship and sportsmanship. All the exhibitors that showed Herefords this weekend got together and provided potluck lunches and suppers so we didn't have to spend a fortune on fair food. It was a great idea and I hope they make it a tradition. It just shows the kids that even though we are competitors we are also friends and neighbors!
Look for pictures in the near future!
Oh, by the way....I felt GREAT all weekend! I really didn't have morning sickness at all. It was awesome. I know that being outside and being active really makes a difference. It just makes it even harder to go to work, though. But I will take the sick-free days where ever I can get them!

No comments: