Monday, October 01, 2007

Family Vacation?








June 10th we all headed up to Jack & Lynne's for a month. Louis worked extra hours at his work to be able to take of an entire month of paternity leave. It was a real treat to see him every day! All I had to do was step outside! I even got to work along side him; working on the fencing with Jack. It was a nice change for us. And one that I think we needed! The girls, Caisha and Nala, would watch Wyatt for me so I could go out and help with the fences and general clean-up of the farm. Many times I brought Wyatt out with me. I didn't get much work done, but he was so fascinated with the work Daddy and Grandpa were doing! He watched them VERY closely! It seemed like he wanted to get in on the action!! Zach was a big help as he filled the role of errand boy. He enjoyed running to get supplies, water, etc. Grandpa Jack would "time" him to see how fast he could retrieve the item needed. It really became a game for them and Zach tried real hard to beat his previous time! Caisha and Nala came out and helped quite a few times, too. I think Grandpa Jack really enjoyed having his grandkids working along side him! Nala's favorite new skill was driving the lawn mower with a little wagon hitched behind, to feed the cattle. Her and Caisha made a pretty good team! They literally took over that chore, morning and evening, so Grandma Lynne didn't have to do it. I am sure she enjoyed that little reprieve. Caisha also got to learn how to drive Grandpa Jack's truck! She drove it from the grain shed to the barn. She had a grin from ear to ear! I also got into learning new skills. I became pretty adept at swinging a hammer and driving tractor. I grew up on a farm but never learned how to drive the tractors, so this was a treat for me!

After putting in some long, HOT days, we would all go to Lake Okoboji to swim. We even got Grandpa Jack to go with a few times! Nothing like cowboy boots and swim trunks! :) ! It was so neat to see Jack and Lynne playing in the water like kids! It was an inspiration for marriages. Wyatt had his first experience with the lake. The water was pretty cold the first time we went so he preferred the sand to the water. He enjoyed the water more and more each time we went. He did take a few good naps at the lake. We found that he slept better outside! Wyatt was outside so much that he got a little farmers tan! Louis got REAL dark! We both ended up getting sunburnt on our shoulders & upper back one day. We both even had sunscreen on! There were a few days where it was unbelievably hot!




I hope the kids come away from that month with lots of great memories! Even though we were "working" on the farm most days, I thought it was a great family vacation! Maybe I am the only one who looks at it that way. Most farming is not work to me. It's just something I enjoy!

No comments: