Monday, August 07, 2006

Freezing

Well, this weekend I turned my kitchen into a sauna! Suprisingly it didn't seem to bother me too much, even though it was probably close to 100 degrees in the kitchen! I recieved a bunch of home grown sweet corn and zucchini from Lynne's garden. (Mother-in-Law) There was no way that we would be able to eat all of it before it went bad, especially since everybody (but me!) left for Branson, Missouri this morning, so I set about freezing most of it. I was actually enjoying myself and remembering watching my own mom do this same ritual every summer. It felt good! I will be doing more in the future years to come once I get my own garden going next year. I hope to plant corn, beans, peas, carrots, radishes, tomatoes, potatoes and possibly rutabega and squash. I know, I have big dreams! :) On top of that I will have the raspberries from the small bush mom gave me this year (which has grown A LOT with the rain we've been getting!) and I would like to add strawberries to the mix, also! Oh, and of course, I can't forget all the flowers that will be going in! Although, all of this does hinge on Louis getting the Carriage House torn down so I have the room! Everytime he has had the chance it has rained! Very frustrating for both of us!
Painting the exterior of the house is still on our agenda for this year.....before the snow flies! We are going to get an estimate from a house painter and compare that with how much it would cost for us to rent scaffolding (or a boom) and do the painting ourselves. If it is less than $200 difference we will more than likely have someone else do the job. If not, we welcome any "volunteers" to come down and help us paint! Our neighbors, Mark and Joelle, keep asking when the "Painting Party" is! They have already volunteered to help and ......they are not afraid of heights!, which Louis is and I am, sort of! Who could ask for better neighbors than that!!

No comments: