Thursday, August 24, 2006

National Beauties of America Pageant










What a great pageant system! This was my 4th year attending the National Beauties of America Pageant (BOA) and every year I have such a great time! Granted, this year it was a lot less stressful, being that I was passing on the crown instead of vying for it. I was so proud of all the ladies in my division (30's) and wanted all of them to win!! Usually I have an idea who will capture the crown, but this year I could not decide! I felt like all the ladies were "my girls". I was kind of protective of them and wanted to help every one of them to do their best! I was a mother hen, in a way. So many of the contestants this year were doing a pageant for the first time. I can say that this is one of the best pageants to try if you are a first timer! Because we don't compete against everybody there, it allows for some closer friendships all weekend. There is such great support from all the other contestants and you can learn tricks and techniques from all different ages......and feel free to share them since they aren't your direct competition! I love it!
My weekend started on Wednesday night when I headed up to my friend, Monica's, in Minneapolis so I could catch my 6:30am flight out of the cities. Of course, we ended up staying up until 2am talking! Then woke up at 4am to get ready to head to the airport. I was VERY tired! Lucky for me, I did not have to stand in line anywhere and made it through the airport in about a half hour, so I had a little time to kill before I boarded my plane. I always bring a book just in case. I thought I might beable to catch a few winks on the plane, but first of all the plane was a smaller one with only 2 seats on each side of the aisle....second, the largest man on the plane had the seat next to me. I was tempted to ask him for partial payment on my airfare since he was taking up almost half of my seat! I was a little upset......I had paid good money for my seat and I should beable to use the entire thing!! I didn't get any real sleep. I had a connecting flight in North Carolina that turned out to be a bigger plane and the seat next to me was empty, so I thought "Wonderful! I can get some shut eye!" It didn't turn out that way. Some one or some people right around me had been drinking A LOT and you could just smell it on them and they had smoked a cigarette right before boarding the plane! So I had the combined smell of stale alcohol and smoke floating around me the entire flight! Most of my family knows I am allergic to cigarette smoke, so I ended up with a headache and itchy eyes. Not very conducive to sleeping! I finally landed in Myrtle Beach and was relieved to find out that there was a shuttle service to the hotel. Of course, it didn't show up for over a half hour after I called for them. I wasn't the only pageant girl waiting for this shuttle. It turns out that one of the ladies from my division had been on the plane with me! It was Penny Genovese from New York! It was great to talk with her and her family on the ride to the hotel. Once at the hotel, I checked into my room and quickly changed clothes, ran a brush through my hair, washed my face and put on a little make-up before dashing down to orientation. Orientation went well and in the time alloted, which only gave me about an hour and half to get ready for our night at "The Hard Rock Cafe". We were suppose to dress up with a rock and roll feel. It was fun. At this point I am starving and extremely tired! Adreniline was the only thing keeping me going! The salad that I had ordered did not fill me up, but luckily one of the other girls couldn't finish her sandwich so she kindly shared it with me! I finally got to bed around midnight that night and was up at 7:30am the next morning. It was TOOO early! Then we had rehearsal in the morning and interviews in the afternoon. Friday evening we had a beach party dinner. It was great to see all the outfits that the ladies came in! That night I got to bed around 11:30p and was up at 7:30am again the next morning (Saturday). This was the big day! We had rehearsal all day since the final competition was that evening at 7pm. It came all too quickly! It was a great production and things ran fairly smooth. It was a great first-time show for Jen! Melissa(America's 40's 2005) and I plan to come back next year and help out again! I can't wait! My flight out of Myrtle Beach was delayed an hour and half. I was very glad I had a 5 hour lay over in Atlanta! On the trip from Atlanta to Minneapolis I witnessed one of the best mothers I have ever seen dealing with the late hour(after midnight) with two small children, probably around the ages of 2 years and 5 years, and the uncertaintly of getting on my flight. She had so much patience and such a great repore with her kids! I know in her situation I would have been short tempered and all out of fun ideas to entertain the kids. I had to admire her and when we landed in Minneapolis I had to let her know what a wonderful mom I thought she was! It was great way to end my great weekend! By the way, it was 2am Monday morning when my plane touched down and I didn't get much sleep on the planes, again. I crashed at Monica's that morning and slept till around noon, then I met her for lunch and had to head home to Boone, IA. I'm not sure I have recovered yet from the lack of sleep! But, after a pageant, that is not uncommon for me!










No comments: